Improved reading efficiency
You can read, right, that is why you are at Rhodes. But can you read in an academic setting. Do you battle to read a textbook or journal article? Do handouts get you down? Do you feel you spend too much reading for what you get out of it? Do you always understand what you read? Do you sometimes get lost in what you are reading and doze off?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions this course may be just what you need. Consider it an investment into your future.
This course will help you to:
- Read more actively
- Read in a more focused way
- Skim, scan and search
- Use first and last chapters of books
- Read in a more time-efficient way
- Read with greater understanding
- Finding the structure of a text
- Read more critically
- Use diagram notes
- Use the index
Who is this for?
- Any undergraduate student who knows how important reading is for academic success and who feels that their reading skills can be improved.
- Students who wish to make better use of their time reading at Rhodes.
- Students who wish to improve their marks.
When: 20 – 21 February 2016
Times: Saturday: 09h00 – 16h00 and
Sunday: 09h00 – 13h00
Where: The Acorn Institute: Academic Success, 23 Lawrence Street, Sunnyside.
Methods of payment:
The deposit can be paid (a) by EFT, (b) bank deposit or (c) Payfast.
Please remember to email us proof of payment if you make a bank deposit or EFT.
Branch code: 470010
Account number: 1414267205