Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Can I choose my own location?

Although exact location cannot be guaranteed, we can make a recommendation to the coordinator if you have a preference for a certain area.

Will there be other native English teachers nearby?

The program is sponsored by the local Sichuan educational board who, this year are inviting up to 1,000 native English speakers to teach at schools throughout the province. There will be native English teachers in towns and cities throughout Sichuan and so it will be easy to make contact with fellow teachers from the UK, EU, US, CA, NZ, SA, AUS and IRE.

What happens at the Orientation?

The orientation is a great chance to meet other native English teachers who will also be taking part in the program. Topics covered include an overview of the Chinese educational system, lesson planning, guidance, bank information, teacher training, Chinese culture and even a crash course in Mandarin!

What would be the typical teaching hours?

The teaching hours would be around 15 per week not including planning time.

How many students per class would there be?

Classes usually consist of between 10 and 25 students.

How old are the students?

The students would be elementary, middle or high school, so between 6 and 18 years of age. The age range of students that you will be teaching is assigned by the principal. However, if you have a strong preference for teaching a particular age group, please just let us know when you submit your application and this will be taken into consideration.

Will there be other native English teachers at my school?

As these are public school positions, in most cases there will be two foreign teachers per school.  However, Sichuan has a lively foreign community and there will usually be other native English teachers living and working close by.

Is housing provided?

Yes, accommodation is provided throughout the placement.

How much is the living allowance?

Each volunteer teacher will receive a monthly living allowance of RMB 2,000 (approximately R 4000).  Sichuan province is still a very economical region of China to live in and so your living allowance allows for a comfortable lifestyle within the country.

How would I receive the living allowance?

This will be paid electronically to your Chinese bank account on the 15th of each month. You will be assisted by the local representative in setting up a bank account upon arrival.

Do I need a visa for China?

Yes, a visa is required.  Details of Visa requirements can be found here

Please note, the visa fee is the responsibility of the teacher intern and is not paid by the programme.